January 31, 2013

We Knead to Bake: Basil Garlic Pesto Pull-apart bread

I had seen quite a few blogs about We Knead to Bake, I thought about it and just let it go. But, today when I sat down and thought that I need to bake something, its been so so long, my thoughts were again on this. So I thought with January drawing to a close, lets jump onboard too!

I had some Basil Garlic Pesto handy and I thought for dinner, some bread would be perfect and this just seemed so perfect with the pasta veggie salad I had in mind.

I made a small loaf so that it is used up at dinner time, and I can make something new for tomorrow.

Ingredients

Flour - 1.5 cups
Salt - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Yeast - 1 tsp
Basil Garlic Pesto - 3 tbsp
Milk - 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup (warm)

Method

1.  Add sugar to 1/4 cup milk and stir well. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let it stand for 5 mins. It should become frothy.
2. Sift flour and salt together. Add oil and the yeast mixture to this. Finally add the 1/2 cup milk to this and knead well to make a elastic soft, little sticky dough.
3. Let the dough rise for 2 hours or until doubled.
4. Punch down the dough and roll into a square and spread the Basil Garlic Pesto evenly all over.
5. Take a pizza cutter and cut the square into equal strips. The number of strips will depend on the square size you have rolled out.
6. Stack the strips one over the other with the filling facing upwards.
7. Now, cut the pile into neat squares so that you have 3-4 piles of square shaped dough and filling towers.
8. Now, arrange the towers horizontally in a loaf pan so that the filling open outward and keep stacking so that all your towers are used up.
9. Now, let it proof for 1 hour.
10. Preheat oven to 180 C and and bake for 30-35 minutes or till lightly browned on top.

Prior to baking, arranged in the loaf pan

Baked Pull-apart loaf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts ...