January 16, 2013

Day 1s

Getting a child to school and getting them to stay there can be I think a very daunting task. Well, maybe that might be the case for me as I have decided to initiate Tee into the school life at 20 months. That decision in itself took quite a bit of time, with inputs and feedback from many folks on what is the best age to send a kid to school and why? Finally what I realized is that its not about what they do at school or what they will be seeing as a change, its more about getting them to be fine with staying away for a while through the day. Initially I was of the opinion that if she is just to learn a little separation, then why not at home, and then I can just start working. But, I did realize that when they are in known surroundings, things are very different to what it is when they are in a school or in an environment with many kids. Also, they do learn to understand the concept of discipline which I am sure I would not have been able to instill in Tee at home. This is also because she might not have taken my demands to sit and do something seriously enough, as compared to someone who is telling her to do the same in a completely new environment.

With time I do hope that she does start to look forward to going to play and have fun. At present the main issue is the separation bit, where there is bound to be a bit of bawling and pulling back on seeing the school gate! It does feel difficult to hand over a crying baby, but then that is what I know has to be done and eventually who anyways remembers their first days of playschool. That is what keeps me going and taking her back. I am giving her about 2 weeks now to adjust, as mostly she is quite comfortable within the school but she is not too keen to run into the new place. That should change I think, in due course....

6 comments:

  1. Damn it must have been so hard for our mom's as well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a tough time Aathira, but she'll settle down really quickly and we're the ones left missing them more usually :). All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Its 4 months now since my then 20 month old went to kindergarten..Don't worry soon it'll only be the mommy crying because of the separation and the toddler not even looking back to say a bye,sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will change.. don't worry about it at all. Kids get used to new things pretty soon and with great company their age its just a matter of time. On the other hand, my daughter is 6 now and I can already see her preferring to spend time with friends than with us at home. While I know its a natural part of growing up... I am totally dreading the time when she will not want to sit on my lap or play or even go out with us.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes it will change...and the best days are when you can go inside the school to peep into their activities, during festivals and open days,those r the proudest moments when you feel u did the right thing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my colleagues started similarly at 20 months but her daughter's reaction in mornings to get ready for playschool made her quit in one week! Now she is waiting for her kid to turn 2 years old.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts ...