August 3, 2010

Memories of My Melancholy Whores

A book which has been on my to read list for long. A very quick read, but with some great lines which tend to cast an impression.

The story starts at the 90th birthday of the protagonist, and his wish to sleep with a young virgin. Following this, it moves to show how two people fall in love with each other without themselves being aware of it. Him being a loner and she being poor might be the strongest of reasons to draw them together. His reasons is physical attraction mostly, and hers are just of plain gratitude for someone who has for reasons unknown been overtly nice to her.

One of the phrases which I particularly liked was  

" Fuck all you want, but don't die without fucking in love"

This is said to the protagonist by an old whore-friend.

As I have said, its a quick read and paints a picture of loneliness, old age and the thoughts that crosses the mind of a ninety year old.

Image Source: http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/102050000/102050726.jpg

5 comments:

  1. sounds a bit depressing..but interesting plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey , nice blog , like it ,
    won't be nice if i u can clickover to my blog page too ,
    & post some suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi its a friendly visit for a friendly blogger in a frienly manner, thus by dropping here from my blog

    Follow my blog if you like it means

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't recognising it with the english title but I have read this before. I think you might enjoy Garcia Marquez's earlier books, like the 100 years of solitude and such... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Devil Mood: Perfect.. thats on my to read list. I think I should be able to start with it once I am through with the book I am reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts ...