May 29, 2016

Book Review: Sialkot Saga by Ashwin Sanghi

The title got me intrigued... it did make me look up some history too. Spanning across the life of 2 men, from childhood to adulthood. It is set in an India which I have become familiar with and one which I have seen change in front of my eyes. How crime and politics and money are all interwoven in a warp like state.

As I proceeded with the book, there was a fair bit which made me think this could be made into a movie for sure. And, with a great deal of the story based in Mumbai, the chances seem quite a bit. The story moves very fast and how the characters are built is very interesting, with a great deal of information being thrown at the reader but yet not seeming to be too much.

This is a book about the different men of India and their roles in the society... and in the process the book has given very limited if not a passing character make up for all the female characters. I felt there were some roles which could have been emphasised upon, but the author chose to reveal the plots rather than build on the female roles.

Overall, I enjoyed the quick read, even though quite a few pages to cover here. And knowing the India of today, it creates a connect and brings about a sense of familiarity.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts ...